Sunday, November 29, 2009

Interview with Drew L

1. I do it for myself and then I hope to have some interaction with a few people who can make some sense out of it.
2. The childhood drawing impulse is the impetus for image making for myself and a lot of others. I kept doing it.
3. I went to Bard College and NYU. I also did semesters at Columbia, The New School, and Harvard. I wanted a variety of perspectives at that time. School can be very helpful as long as you educate yourself beyond the curriculum.
4 After school I was the producer for a talk radio show for many years and then I left and started teaching which gave me a more time to paint.
5 I don't feel as though things stated and ended but just happened along the way. I was kind of living a non student lifestyle while i was in school.
6 I'd probably still be a a TV or radio journalism producer.
7. Criticism was usually a gift to get but occasionally hard to have patience for.
8 My advice is to constantly reassess and if you still need to be doing it , then keep on keepin on. Making paintings can turn into a luxury that you pay dearly for.
9. Patience is a reality that shows up.
10 Free time can be a good time to take a long walk and get some distance. It's important to spend time with non art world people too.
11. It takes all kinds
12 I started off slowly and steadily. Painting often requires that.
13. Success in painting is subjective.
14 Students can take the lessons of art school with them regardless of their chosen career path.

No comments:

Post a Comment